Welcome to Year 2. We are really looking forward to getting to know you all this year. Here are a few bits of information for the start of the year.
· Class LD will have PE on Monday and Friday. Class OM will have PE on Monday and Thursday. Class JJ will have PE on Tuesday and Friday. PE will start on Monday 5th September.
Please remember to send your child to school in their PE kit. We will be outside as much as possible so please wear appropriate clothing. Don’t forget that all jewellery must be removed and long hair must be tied back.
· Over the next two weeks we will be listening to your child read. We will then give out a reading book and reading diary on Friday 9rd September. This year we will also be providing a library book each week to encourage reading for pleasure.
· Reading books will be changed on Tuesday and Friday.
· Library books will be changed on Friday and will only be changed when the previous book is returned.
· Please aim to read as much at home as possible but at least three times a week.
· Please remember to bring a named water bottle every day and a school style flat book bag which can fit into a drawer. No huge rucksacks!
· We will be using the school field in all weathers so please bring in a named pair of wellies.
· We will be continuing to use Seesaw for any home based learning. Also keep an eye on this for messages and to see photographs of the children at school.
Below is our Year 2 Reading Spine. This is a list of quality, age related texts that will help children engage and develop a love of reading. We will be reading and revisiting these books throughout the year.
Hodgeheg by Dick King Smith
The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl
The Twits by Roald Dahl
George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl
The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy
The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
The Iron Man by Ted Hughes
The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark by Jill Tomlinson
Molly Rogers to the Rescue by Cornelia Funke
Zog by Julia Donaldson
Jack and the Flum Flum Tree by Julia Donaldson
Bog Baby by Jeanne Willis
Meerkat Mail by Emily Gravett
Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae
Supertato by Paul Linnet and Sue Hendra
Stuck by Oliver Jeffers
Here We Are by Oliver Jeffers
Dogger by Shirley Hughes
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Zoo by Anthony Brown
Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas
Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammed